Sunday, October 19, 2008

A cry for help.

This weekend my perception of Japan changed by a single incident. I have often heard about suicides happening in Japan but this was the first time where it affected me personally. I wasn't there when it happened, but a couple of people serving on the VYM team with me where there at the time. Justin, another O-Ver returned to Luther House around 11:30 or so last night and without even a hello. I sat in my room chatting with friends after an amazing night, when Justin came into my room and said that he was going to bed. This was out of character for him, so I said, "aren't we going to do our evening prayers?" We met in his room and that was when he told me what happened. A person jump in front of the train which he happened to be on at that time.

Instantly my perception of Japan completely changed because that was the moment when the suffering I have heard about through the news and through stories became a reality for me. My eyes began to water a bit because I thought about how that person could have been one of my friends from my previous stay in Japan. And my heart began to ache as I realized that the person who jumped in front of the train probably never heard of the new life found in Jesus Christ. Please, Please! Keep these people in your prayers, keep my fellow missionaries in your prayers, keep me in your prayers as we are sent to proclaim the salvation found through faith in Christ.

2 comments:

Brigitte C said...

Matt, thank you for sharing the story with me and thanks for being there for Justin that very night. I am sure it impacted him even more than you. People like you and Justin are sent to Japan for a reason and you are blessed with gifts who will enlighten many people there. My prayers are with you all. Brigitte

Anonymous said...

will do man! God is big! remember that!